16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filipino Traditional Healing Methods

tataadlaw
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Can you share some of the spiritual healing methods that are still being used in your province?

I was exposed to traditional healing methods when I was just 7. My lola from my father's side was a manggamot in our village. I still remember the time when she was collecting old "palaspas" from our neighbors so she could create an incense for her "pansuob". She would placed a fire-proof container filled with burning incense under a chair and asked her patient to sit on it, and wrapped the patient's whole body with a loose blanket. She told me that this was her way of removing the illness from the patient's body and the bad spirit that would have caused it. Aside from pagsusuob, she also used a healing oil made from herbs and roots empowered by oracion.

I become the healer our village when she died. And as a respect to her, I am using her methods together with my own style of healing.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Filipino Traditional Healing Methods

silvermoon
One of the traditional healing methods I've known since I was a kid was the use of "lana" (oil usually made from coconuts and sometimes mixed with other roots and herbs) rubbed/massaged on certain parts of the body that hurt.

Another one that my father used to do was doing a "halad" (it's like an offering) to appease an entity. It's what he said they usually do in their province in Negros. Also, there were times before when he'd kill a chicken and catch some of its blood in a bowl and then dip his fingers on it and use it to make a sign of the cross on my forehead and wrists. The chicken is then buried as an offering. I'm not really sure what it was for but he said it's to help me not get sick easily that year.
"The woman is the mother of humankind.
If the woman is asleep, all of her children is asleep.
...It is time to wake up."
Reply | Threaded
|

tataadlaw
Administrator
silvermoon wrote
Another one that my father used to do was doing a "halad" (it's like an offering) to appease an entity. It's what he said they usually do in their province in Negros. Also, there were times before when he'd kill a chicken and catch some of its blood in a bowl and then dip his fingers on it and use it to make a sign of the cross on my forehead and wrists. The chicken is then buried as an offering. I'm not really sure what it was for but he said it's to help me not get sick easily that year.
We also do that to heal a sick person and boost his or her protection against baneful magic, ill wishes, curses and bad spirits that can impede his or her recovery. We can either bury it or cook it and let the patient eat a portion from it (as we believe it is blessed with power to heal).
Reply | Threaded
|

Blcknbloo
In reply to this post by tataadlaw
I'm not quite sure if it's considered as a "healing method" but there are times if i get "bati" or "nabati" of the unseen, we seek help and undergo "tawas/pa-tawas" like they use some sort of paper and a candle and recite a prayer then on the paper they can see wether someone or something is "nagbabati" "nambabati" then after a few days, whatever sickness or discomfort that's caused by the unseen/or someone would disappear.
Reply | Threaded
|

tataadlaw
Administrator
That's actually one of the traditional healing methods here in the Philippines being performed by "albularyos". Aside from the method you mentioned, some of them also use candles - "pagtatawas sa kandila". They do this by lighting a candle and placing it over a basin filled with water and then they wait until it drips. The image formed will then be interpreted to identify the cause of the illness.
Reply | Threaded
|

wendronwitch
One healing method I have seen quite a lot as a kid is the use of crab shell and black cloth. I didn't get to see all the procedures done by the albularyo but from what I know binabalot ng black cloth ang crab shell tapos pinapa-anod sa ilog.
Reply | Threaded
|

wendronwitch
And another was taught to us by a witch from Siquijor. If you feel like someone is hexing you, get a jar with lid then lalagyan mo siya ng sharp objects like pako, tornilyo, pieces of pinutol putol na yero plus yung lupa from an ant-hill and then you will pee on it. Then cover the jar with the lid and bury it in your backyard. That is supposed to help block the hex and return it to the sender.
Reply | Threaded
|

wendronwitch
The simplest and most basic one I've been taught is the use of a glass of water and salt.

You will just place it under your bed at night so it will remove any hex or "evil eye" projected upon you. You have to throw the water out your front door in the morning as soon as you wake up.
Reply | Threaded
|

wendronwitch
Hi. Just want to share more Filipino Traditional Healing Methods here!

This one I got from the elderlies in our barrio. If you believe you have been hexed/cursed, an effective way of fixing this is getting a white bond paper then write the whole chapter of John 17 from the bible. Then you read the whole thing before you go to sleep. Then it helps din to have holy water to annoint on the victim's forehead. Then smudge the person with bendita palaspas with kamangyan (?)
Reply | Threaded
|

Witch_geek
In reply to this post by wendronwitch
May ilan pa ba po ba kayong method na lalaman para pang tanggal ng kulam or barang na effective po?
Reply | Threaded
|

Witch_geek
In reply to this post by silvermoon
Sir meron po ba kayong remedies para sa kulam at barang na sure pong effective at paano po ma protect yung self ko sa mga ganyan?
Reply | Threaded
|

wendronwitch
In reply to this post by Witch_geek
Hello! The ones I enumerated above are the only ones I am familiar with. If kinukulam ka na, I think it's best to consult a professional like Sir Tata to help remove it. If hindi ka naman nakulam but you want to protect yourself from kulam, there are charms that you can wear. I believe meron sa NatureOz. :)

Yung salt + water in a glass under the bed yung easiest and simplest na nakikita kong solution. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Witch_geek
Tnx po windronwitch
Reply | Threaded
|

miuraraina
This is one of the methods i've heard from some of my patients. With regards to healing methods, iba kasi napag aralan and napapractice ko. Science/medical way. I do respect filipino traditional healing methods. 😊
来奈
Reply | Threaded
|

miuraraina
In reply to this post by wendronwitch
This is easy. I might as well try this. Thanks a lot. 😊
来奈
Reply | Threaded
|

wendronwitch
In reply to this post by Witch_geek
You're welcome! 😁 Hope it helps!

Home | Shop | Blog

Abra | Agusan del Norte | Agusan del Sur | Aklan | Albay | Antique | Apayao | Aurora | Basilan | Bataan | Batanes | Batangas | Benguet | Biliran | Bohol | Bukidnon | Bulacan | Cagayan | Camarines Norte | Camarines Sur | Camiguin | Capiz | Catanduanes | Cavite | Cebu | Compostela Valley | Cotabato | Davao del Norte | Davao del Sur | Davao Occidental | Davao Oriental | Dinagat Islands | Eastern Samar | Guimaras | Ifugao | Ilocos Norte | Ilocos Sur | Iloilo | Isabela | Kalinga | | La Union | Laguna | Lanao del Norte | Lanao del Sur | Leyte | Maguindanao | Marinduque | Masbate | Metro Manila | Misamis Occidental | Misamis Oriental | Mountain Province | Negros Occidental | Negros Oriental | Northern Samar | Nueva Ecija | Occidental Mindoro | Oriental Mindoro | Palawan | Pampanga | Pangasinan | Quezon | Quirino | Rizal | Romblon | Samar | Sarangani | Siquijor | Sorsogon | South Cotabato | Southern Leyte | Sultan Kudarat | Sulu | Surigao del Norte | Surigao del Sur | Tarlac | Tawi-Tawi | Zambales | Zamboanga del Norte | Zamboanga del Sur | Zamboanga Sibugay