Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Voodoo and Hoodoo

silvermoon
I've been recently reading into hoodoo and voodoo. And then I came upon the subject of loas. Based on what I read, a loa is a spirit invoked in a ritual in the Voodoo tradition to ask for help in a certain situation or to grant requests. But I was actually surprised that some Catholic saints are regarded or have contemporaries as a loa. Could anyone enligten me further about this? Thank you.
"The woman is the mother of humankind.
If the woman is asleep, all of her children is asleep.
...It is time to wake up."
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Voodoo and Hoodoo

tataadlaw
Administrator
This post was updated on .
From what I know, the syncretism of Loas to Catholic Saints began when the Roman Catholic Church penetrated Africa (the exact origins of Voodoo are unknown). The followers of Loas needed to syncretize their deities with the Catholic Saints to preserve their spiritual traditions.

Reply | Threaded
|

silvermoon
Thank you for the reply. Another question I forgot to add, is invoking a loa the same with ancestor worship or is it the same with asking for help from one's ancestors?  Like for example, can my great grandmother be a sort of loa or it has to be a greater renowned spirit? If it isn't, what're the differences?
"The woman is the mother of humankind.
If the woman is asleep, all of her children is asleep.
...It is time to wake up."
Reply | Threaded
|

miuraraina
In reply to this post by tataadlaw
I also have a question. I have read some things about Voodoo also. If I am a Catholic, but starting to also believe in magick, can i still invoke Loas without giving up my religion? Would i get karma by also believing in a different belief?
来奈
Reply | Threaded
|

tataadlaw
Administrator
In reply to this post by silvermoon
silvermoon wrote
Is invoking a loa the same with ancestor worship or is it the same with asking for help from one's ancestors?  Like for example, can my great grandmother be a sort of loa or it has to be a greater renowned spirit? If it isn't, what're the differences?
Loas serve as intermediaries between the Supreme Creator and humanity. You can also ask the spirits of your ancestors to send your prayers to God (we have that belief).

Reply | Threaded
|

tataadlaw
Administrator
In reply to this post by miuraraina
miuraraina wrote
I also have a question. I have read some things about Voodoo also. If I am a Catholic, but starting to also believe in magick, can i still invoke Loas without giving up my religion? Would i get karma by also believing in a different belief?
You don't have to change your religion to practice magic. Always remember that karma is not a bitch, it's a mirror. The use of witchcraft is not inherently wrong, bad or evil. Whether it is bad or good depends on the user's intentions. To illustrate this, let us compare it to using a knife. If you use the knife to hurt others, who is bad, the knife or you?

Reply | Threaded
|

miuraraina
Thank you so much, Sir Tata. I'm very relieved to hear this.
来奈

Home / Giveaway / Subscribe / Shop / Blog

NatureOz Logo
Abra | Agusan del Norte | Agusan del Sur | Aklan | Albay | Antique | Apayao | Aurora | Basilan | Bataan | Batanes | Batangas | Benguet | Biliran | Bohol | Bukidnon | Bulacan | Cagayan | Camarines Norte | Camarines Sur | Camiguin | Capiz | Catanduanes | Cavite | Cebu | Compostela Valley | Cotabato | Davao del Norte | Davao del Sur | Davao Occidental | Davao Oriental | Dinagat Islands | Eastern Samar | Guimaras | Ifugao | Ilocos Norte | Ilocos Sur | Iloilo | Isabela | Kalinga | | La Union | Laguna | Lanao del Norte | Lanao del Sur | Leyte | Maguindanao | Marinduque | Masbate | Metro Manila | Misamis Occidental | Misamis Oriental | Mountain Province | Negros Occidental | Negros Oriental | Northern Samar | Nueva Ecija | Occidental Mindoro | Oriental Mindoro | Palawan | Pampanga | Pangasinan | Quezon | Quirino | Rizal | Romblon | Samar | Sarangani | Siquijor | Sorsogon | South Cotabato | Southern Leyte | Sultan Kudarat | Sulu | Surigao del Norte | Surigao del Sur | Tarlac | Tawi-Tawi | Zambales | Zamboanga del Norte | Zamboanga del Sur | Zamboanga Sibugay