What is the difference between witchcraft and Wicca?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What is the difference between witchcraft and Wicca?

Conjuro
For me Wicca is a religion introduced by Gerald Gardner. Wicca believes in the duality of the divine ( masculine and feminine ). While witchcraft is a practice of folk magic ( spells, healing, herbcraft etc. ). I think it is possible for a witch to be a member of any religion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is the difference between witchcraft and Wicca?

tataadlaw
Administrator
If you are a Wiccan (a follower of Wicca), your main goal is to honor the God and Goddess, and observe the Wheel of the Year or the Sabbats (Yule, Imbolc, Ostara, Beltane, Litha, Lammas or Lughnasadh, Mabon and Samhain) for your own spiritual growth. If you are witch, you can practice your craft without honoring the dieties and observing the Wheel of the Year, you simply draws energy from nature to manifest your desires. Wicca is a spiritual path or a religion whereas Witchcraft is a practice. Therefore, you can be a Wiccan without being a witch, and vice versa.

Reply | Threaded
|

Conjuro
Thank you for the response!
Reply | Threaded
|

Conjuro
I hope that your response will shed light that wiccans are not only the practitioners of witchcraft or witches in the world. That there are other traditons around the world that practice witchcraft and witchcraft is not a religion....
Reply | Threaded
|

tataadlaw
Administrator
In reply to this post by Conjuro
You're welcome.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gilla
In reply to this post by Conjuro
Wicca is a religion whereby followers worship the duality of the divine beings, and observe the year of the wheel especially when doing rituals. Much like any other religion, they have rules that guide them and bind them. Witchcraft is the practice of magic with or without the observance of Wicca as a religion, and the practice does not necessarily mean that the person has a moral compass that guides them.

It's quite unfortunate that people equate Wicca to Witchcraft, as usually Wiccans follow the path of light and the same cannot always be said about those who practice Witchcraft.
May the light guide you to where you need to go and not where you want to be.
Reply | Threaded
|

Conjuro
This post was updated on .
I agree Gilla, actually Wicca was my first practice. I had a thinking before that Wicca is the only legitimate practice of witchcraft. But when I discovered my lineage, I realized that there was a huge diversity of esoteric practices ( I involved myself in spiritism, shamanism, hoodoo, voodoo and phil esoteric occult arts ). There was a time that I couldn't embrace the principle of If harm none etc. When one of my friends was a victim of a mangingilkig, dawdaw or manglalason ( here in the Philippines there is a practice of sorcery that involves the use of poison, the practitioner utilizes a concoction called igdalaot, it is prepared in Holy Friday ) I have no choice but to punish the source of the affliction by reversing it to her.  I used the medal of saint Benedict including its prayer to nullify the effect of the poison. Luckily, my friend survived and half of the body of the culprit was paralyzed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gilla
Wow, ang galing. You have a good control over your skills/abilities. I can't say the same about myself mostly because I tend to hold back. I love learning about new skills and practices, but I chicken out once it's time to try them because I've had so many bad experiences in the past that I don't want to do anything amiss lest I go through them again. I don't know of anyone else in my family who are into the magic, so I don't know if my lineage has a wonderfully kept secret. But a lot of people have said that my mother side might be blessed with a gift because almost 50% of the women in our family have their third eye open, so open in fact na nakakatakot na rin.  So I don't know, would be interesting to know if there are any practitioners in my family whom I can learn from.
May the light guide you to where you need to go and not where you want to be.

Home / Giveaway / Subscribe / Shop / Blog

NatureOz Logo
Abra | Agusan del Norte | Agusan del Sur | Aklan | Albay | Antique | Apayao | Aurora | Basilan | Bataan | Batanes | Batangas | Benguet | Biliran | Bohol | Bukidnon | Bulacan | Cagayan | Camarines Norte | Camarines Sur | Camiguin | Capiz | Catanduanes | Cavite | Cebu | Compostela Valley | Cotabato | Davao del Norte | Davao del Sur | Davao Occidental | Davao Oriental | Dinagat Islands | Eastern Samar | Guimaras | Ifugao | Ilocos Norte | Ilocos Sur | Iloilo | Isabela | Kalinga | | La Union | Laguna | Lanao del Norte | Lanao del Sur | Leyte | Maguindanao | Marinduque | Masbate | Metro Manila | Misamis Occidental | Misamis Oriental | Mountain Province | Negros Occidental | Negros Oriental | Northern Samar | Nueva Ecija | Occidental Mindoro | Oriental Mindoro | Palawan | Pampanga | Pangasinan | Quezon | Quirino | Rizal | Romblon | Samar | Sarangani | Siquijor | Sorsogon | South Cotabato | Southern Leyte | Sultan Kudarat | Sulu | Surigao del Norte | Surigao del Sur | Tarlac | Tawi-Tawi | Zambales | Zamboanga del Norte | Zamboanga del Sur | Zamboanga Sibugay